2.01.2013

so easy

easy black bean soup

Before kids, during the BK era...
I had a craving - I usually would run right out and fix it.
Especially if it was something decent for me.

The other day I had a bad craving for black bean soup.
It was all I could think about.
Panera's is a favorite.

But since I would have to get Eva dressed, again.
(She is anti-pants these days.)
Which means a couple of trips under the dining room table to fish her out.
And I would have to get Theodore bundled.
Both in carseats.
Just to drive the mile to Panera.
Unload.
Order.
Wait.
Entertain.
Reload.
and unload again.

Not happening.
But I really needed some soup.
So I improvised.

And it was good.
Ridiculously good for barely having anything in it.

I made it again already.

easy blackbean soup

1 - 16 oz. can or  2 cups of black beans
1/2 cups salsa
1 to 2 tablespoons taco seasoning to taste
1 1/2 cups of water

Mix black beans, salsa, taco seasoning and water in a medium pan.  
Start with 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning, add more later to taste.
Cook over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
Simmer for at least 15 minutes.
Scoop about 1/2 a cup of beans into a small bowl.
 Mash those beans and add them back to the soup.
Taste and add more seasoning if needed.
Add water if needed to get desired thickness.

I simmered the soup closer to an hour so I ended up adding about 2-3 cups of water.
Mashing the beans is an extra step that you don't have to do, it just makes the soup a little creamier.
I make my own taco season in a big jar.
I use this recipe but I skip the salt. 
I use it for all kinds of things: baked potatoes, roasted veggies.
I also quadrupled this recipe the second time using dry beans and froze most of it.
It is all gone now, so it does freeze well.

1 comment:

Carri said...

Love a good black bean soup recipe!